Monday, February 27, 2023

Monday Madness: Scott (Dilbert) Adams

As of today...

...Andrews McMeel Universal, the syndicate which carries/carried Dilbert has deleted the strip from its' official page, leaving the following announcement...
The page you are searching for has moved.
...but a search shows no Dilbert content...except in the store section where books and calendars are available...though the syndicate stated they were dropping all ties with him!
 GoComics, which features daily and Sunday strips has dropped Dilbert entirely, as both current and archived strips are no longer accessible.
For the record, I agree with the actions taken.
I've long been a believer in separating the artist and their work from the person, as I have done with Roman Polanski, Woody Allen, Bill Cosby, and Frank Miller, among others.
All of them have produced outstanding work (which I have in my various collections), even if the persons themselves are not the sorts I'd want to associate with or even be seen in public with.
But, in each case, what they did (or believed), while repulsive, was not a provocative move to generate attention.
Adams' apparently-deliberate attempts at inflaming racial prejudice at a delicate point in our country's history goes beyond the pale.
I'm not throwing out my existing Dilbert material, but I'm certainly not giving any more revenue to him.
Helluva way to end Black History Month, eh?
BTW, Rube Rooky will return for its' finale next Monday...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanx for posting!