Monday, August 2, 2010

I Sell the Dead

Take the classy-yet-creepy Hammer / Amicus horror anthology films of the 1960s-70s!
Add some EC Comics-style graphics!
Mix with a cast filled with experienced genre performers who are obviously enjoying the project!
What do you have?
I Sell the Dead!
I came across it yesterday afternoon on cable, and let me tell you, I haven't had an unexpectedly-good time like this in years.
I was expecting SyFy Saturday Night-level crap, good for a laugh and little else.
Instead, I was treated to a well-written, well-produced, well-acted horror flick, the likes of which I haven't seen in (literally) decades!
The last horror anthology worth a second viewing was 1982's CreepShow!
But, this pic, featuring Dominic Monaghan (Lord of the Rings / FlashForward / LOST), Ron Perlman (Beauty & the Beast / Teen Titans, etc), and Angus Scrimm (Phantasm), along with lesser-known, but no less talented, thespians, is an absolute blast!
While it's a "period piece", it's not historically or geographically-accurate. (But then, neither were Hercules and Xena, and nobody I know complained...)
What's it about?
About 85 minutes. ;-)
It's also about grave-robbing, zombies/ghouls, vampires, extraterrestrials, insane inbred families, sea monsters, corrupt businessmen, and hot homicidal women.
It's also extremely funny. Not the laugh-at-how-bad-it-is funny of Plan 9 from Outer Space, but witty puns, quips and tasteless jokes!
And, there's even a comic book version of it!
Watch it! Rent it! Buy it!
You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanx for posting!